How much does it cost to remodel a bedroom?
Bedroom remodeling can be somewhat basic or it can be really expansive, and for this discussion we will consider the costs and requirements for an average upgrade or remodel of a bedroom of 120 square feet in total workable area. This sort of remodeling project can be considered a "DIY" project, though it is just as practical to consult several contractors for the job (painting, carpentry, electrical, etc.).
For the bedroom remodel, the typical costs include:
- According to Tom Silva of "This Old House", the bedroom is one of the least expensive areas to remodel and yet still have a return on the investment. This is particularly true for those who improve windows (which can be a tax-deductible expense) and heating fixtures. For this project a 10'x12' bedroom will be remodeled with new drywall, eco-friendly wall to wall carpeting, brand-new insulated windows, a refinished ceiling, new trim and moldings, paint, and upgraded heating fixtures. The cost will be roughly $7,880. The resale value of this update would hold at$2340, or a nearly 30% return on investment.
- The above figures place the bedroom update at $66 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, and painters between $20 and $35 per hour.
What needs to be included:
- Four new windows - Average price of $300-$700 per window, plus installation time of two to five hours per window. Be sure that the windows purchased will qualify for tax deductions;
- Insulate ceilings and walls - Fiberglass wall insulation with R-19 value will cost $1.80 per square foot (installed) $482 for the walls, and ceiling/attic insulation of R30 will be $2.25 per square foot and cost $270;
- Carpeting - Averages at $15 to $25 per square yard (with padding and installation) totals $335;
- Finish ceilings and walls - Drywall throughout would require 13 panels of 4'x8' for walls and ceiling at $9.80 each (plus screws, nails and finishing compound) for an approximate total of $240 plus approximately 12 hours of installation (this does not include removal and disposal or original paneling and scraping of amy textured ceiling paint);
- New moldings - Average of $3.00 per foot of installed molding for a total of roughly $550;
- New baseboard heating fixtures - Average of $125 to $500 per room;
- 1 - six-panel primed hardboard door - Average of $178 each for a plus four hours of installation;
- Painting - this room is going to need sanding, priming, and painting according to the upgraded drywall and ceiling. The average painter will charge between $20 to $35 per hour and require approximately 32 hours for a room this size;
- Provide electrical wiring and lighting to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the electrician might simply base it on the square footage; and
- Provide carpentry to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but carpenters average $70 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.
Enhancement and improvement costs
- Canister lighting in ceiling
- Ceiling fan
- Individual thermostat
Additional considerations and costs
If you are going to work with a contractor it is completely acceptable to ask for at least three different bids from three different providers. This is going to give a very accurate idea of the total costs and the level of control you will have over project.